Advanced Cost Estimating – Piping, Mechanical Works & HVAC
Since the monetary aspect is of paramount importance in business, the cost estimation is a vital resource for any company. An accurate cost estimate increases the chances of a successful completion of a project. Since the promoter of the work will most likely have to adapt costs to limited resources, both large and small projects require trustingly cost estimates during the conceptual, design and construction phases.
This course provides participants with the necessary tools to develop reliable cost estimates, by assessing the project needs resources, applying one or more estimating methods and adjusting the estimates based on the project resources and risks.
In this course we will initially focus on establishing the framework of roles and responsibilities of a cost estimator in the context of "Total Cost Management", then we will address the topic of how to develop a cost estimate in different scenarios and according to the maturity of the design of the project.
We will refer to the different methodologies applied in the life cycle of the project, based on the main authors of the knowledge of "Total Cost Management".
We complement it with exercises sessions and tasks that will be carried out after the course in a forum that will be open for a month for discussions between the participants and the instructor.
In the rest of the course we will be 100% dedicated to the cost estimates of Process Equipment in projects of chemical plants, petrochemicals, mining refineries and other industries.
We will begin with an introduction and leveling of basic concepts, we will analyze what construction equipment we will use in our exercises, we will apply productivity adjustments and we will include our analysis and assumptions of indirect costs.
We will focus on the estimation of the families of all the activities, we will discuss the methods of construction, where to obtain man-hours of work, how to do the metric calculations, we will rely on information from market databases.
We will develop cost estimates in the following families of mechanical works and pipelines:
- PROCESS, SERVICE AND PLUMBING PIPING
- EXPORT PIPELINES
- HEATING, VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS
- MECHANICAL INSULATION
- PIPING & INSTRUMENTATION FOR FIRE SYSTEMS
At the end, we will do some practices with detailed estimates.
We complement it with exercise sessions and tasks that will be carried out during and after the webinars in a forum that will be open for a month for discussions between the participants and the facilitator.
This course is 100% compatible with the PMI ® (Project Management Institute), current Project Management Body of Knowledge PMBOK ®, and with the AACE – the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering - (Skills & Knowledge of Cost Engineering)
This course is certified with (AEP)
The AACE International Approved Education Provider (AEP) program is designed to provide cost and management professionals and their companies with a means of identifying suitable professional development courses in their geographic area. The AEP program also identifies individual instructors whose knowledge and experience qualifies them to teach or supervise the course materials being presented.
What the AEP Program Offers:
A Provider approval system with standards to ensure that continuing education programming is serving the needs of potential clients.
Continuous course improvement through course review and ongoing support from AACE staff.
Ability to award Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
Provider promotion and organizational recognition on the AACE International website.
An AACE AEP is entitled to:
Publicize your organization as an “AACE International Approved Education Provider.”
Use the official AEP logo appropriately in registered and approved promotional and course materials consistent with AEP Program policies.
Promotion on the AACE International website list of Approved Education Providers with a direct link to the organization’s website.
Review and Approval and Application Criteria
For a complete overview of the Review and Approval process and the criteria for data submission as part of the application process, please review the AEP Terms and Conditions prior to completing the application form.
AEP Audit Program
The AACE International Education Board has the responsibility for ensuring that Approved Education Providers continue to provide quality educational services and adhere to the Canons of Ethics. Because of this, all organizations participating in the AEP program are subject to a no-notice audit at any time. Organizations that fail to adhere to the tenets of the AEP Terms & Conditions Agreement are subject to removal from the AEP program.
CAF CERTIFICATE SAMPLE
After completing this course, the participant must:
- Know and understand concepts and general aspects of cost estimation and its location within the Total Cost Management and the skills they must master a Cost Estimator.
- Analyze How to size and estimate cost for Process Equipment using different sources, simulating different scenarios according with the level of information available as per the stage of the Project Life Cycle.
- Analyze the principles, methods and criteria involved in the structural and geometric design of these works. Select the machines and / or equipment used in the various tasks involved in these projects and analyze their production methods.
- Discriminating and construction procedures apply for work with defined levels of quality, safe, durable and affordable.
- Discuss solutions, from material selection through the relevant costing up equivalent alternatives.
- Determine costs, establishing precautions and solutions to construction errors in execution
- Technical evaluations of the different construction solutions, and their advantages and limitations
- Be able to perform cost estimates of mechanical works and pipes in projects of chemical plants, petrochemicals, mining refineries and other industries.
- Lectures 37
- Quizzes 8
- Duration 4 Weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 8
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes
1. CONCEPTUAL FRAMEWORK - TOTAL COST MANAGEMENT
2. PREVIOUS ADJUSTMENTS BEFORE DEVELOP THE ESTIMATION
- Factors influencing estimates
- Resources and tools for Process Equipment cost estimation
- Estimation adjustments – the location factors (productivity, prices and currency)
- Crews Calculation – Installation Mh of Mechanical Works and Piping
- Assumptions of Allowances
- Indirect Costs
- Owner’s Costs
- International standard of commercial terms
- How to Use the Tables and Cost Curves
- Quiz M3 – 2
3. PIPING FUNDAMENTALS
4. PROCESS PLANT, SERVICE AND PLUMBING PIPING
- Procedure and references for estimating cost and manhours
- A-106 Carbon Steel Piping Systems
- A-53 Carbon Steel Piping Systems
- ASTM A120 A123/A123 M Steel service piping systems
- ASTM-A-999 Stainless Steel Piping Systems
- ASTM A-106 Grooved End Carbon Steel Piping Systems
- ASTM A-888 Cast Iron Drain, Waste and Vent Piping Systems
- Quiz M3 – 4
5. EXPORT PIPELINES
6. HEATING, VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS
7. MECHANICAL INSULATION
8. PIPING & INSTRUMENTATION FOR FIRE SYSTEMS
9. BIBLIOGRAPHIC REFERENCES
the only course in the market with these features